CITICASITA

CITICASITA

December 23, 2011

Dreaming of A White Thrift Christmas....With A Little Color!

It seems my post on this topic has disappeared. That's the second time that happens to me. Is it me or the blog host? I've looked it up on blogger help and it seems to have happened to others. One can't get it back though. It seems such a waste after all those photos I took.

I'll try it again! So there!

Through the years I've had the opportunity to shop at many thrift stores. It happens that my favorite is only blocks from my house and I drop in there often. White lace and whiteware are especially appealing to me. Winter white, chalk white, old white, bone white, cloudy white, snow white, whatever the shade of white, it always appeals. White is considered peaceful, pure, clean, innocent and with the promise of new beginnings. I have compiled a photo diary of some of my favorite finds and would like to share them.

My favorite is the antique eyelet bed cover I bought at a Paris, France "brocante" ten years ago. It was a little pricey but I took it home.
I had seen a beautiful lace bed cover in one of my design books and always wanted one like it. Not too long ago I found one at the charity thrift store. It was half price! All of two dollars ($2.)! I took it home. I took home the sofa throw next to it for a dollar ($1.) What a bargain!
The tin fleur-de-lis mirror was not in great shape. It was a yucky yellowish looking thing. However, yes, I took it home.
A little Annie Sloan chalk Paint, gold gild with a tad of blue overlay and Ta Da, Cinderella! I never pass up a good bargain that can be transformed. See "The Gold Rush Holiday" here.
The candlesticks were black but I had paint left over so......I took them home.
When I saw these plates I got a feeling of melancholy. They reminded me of some my Mom had many years ago. They have a little color but I took them home.
And so on with all my white lovelies. Some have a little color but if they fit the bill, why, I'll take it home of course!



I had been looking for large sized coffee mugs, well here they are!
Victorian inspired tree ornament.
Lace bed cover
Vases, plates, cups, creamers, sugar bowls. All were found for a bargain.
This planter surely had to go home with me!
My favorite cereal bowl was cents on the dollar.
Love white pitchers and bowls.
These  Christmas plates, although with color, are lovely enough for my plate collection.
Re-done mirror, candleholders and plates which I took home.
The thrift store vintage Santas all were taken home too!
" The first of all single colors is white......."   - Leonardo Di Vinci

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Decorations, I like all.
    I am your newest follower too:-)
    Marry Christmas! Hugs, Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diddie, I too love all things white or cream and get a little thrill when I find something new at a thrift shop, or even something that can be painted cream. Your collection is beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing and Happy New Year. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who can resist that magical formula; Chalk Paint. Love that stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete